WOSN You Tube Video –
(8-8-18) Marion Local is one of Ohio’s most respected athletic programs in the state of Ohio. Their football and boys basketball teams last season both won State Championships, for football it was their second consecutive title. This year the Flyer faithful are supporting one of their own, assistant Coach Dan Thobe.
Nicknamed Super, Thobe is now fighting his biggest battle, cancer. This past year he was diagnosed with a Grade 3 glioma tumor. After consulting with medical staffs at several different well known hospitals, Thobe has decided on taking the holistic route:
- his Catholic faith
- change in diet
- juices, exercise, herbs and supplements
- antiepileptic drug Keppra
Thobe (46), besides coaching, is a math teacher at Marion Local and is in his fifth year as an assistant football coach in charge of safeties and quarterbacks. During pre-season two-a-days he is present for one of them. This fall he will be teaching four classes at Marion Local of high school geometry and an eighth grade algebra class.
This is why the Flyers’ football team has adopted this phrase:
‘Play Strong, Stay Strong, Super Strong’
Did you know….
- Thobe coached 14 years at Vandalia Butler ( five as the head coach)
- four years as an assistant at Fort Loramie
- Go Fund Me (still open) $40,783 of $5,000 goal
- Was a stand-out football player at Dayton, first team All Pioneer League