(7-17-21) 2021 has seen some membership changes in Northwest Ohio athletic conferences. In 1941, eighty years ago, a new football only conference the Little Buckeye Conference was founded.
The LBC had five charter members – Coldwater, Rockford, Paulding, Delphos Jefferson and Shawnee. The conference would see departures, including Coldwater in 1950.
League membership according to stories in the Mercer County Chronicle included, St. John (Maria Stein), Elida, Payne and Hicksville.
NOTE: Leaving the LBC Coldwater scheduled three opponents from out-of-state, Portland, Ft. Wayne Central Catholic and Sandwich (Illinois).
Before the Little Buckeye Conference….
The Western Ohio League was formed in 1939, Coldwater, Paulding, Rockford,Delphos Jefferson and Shawnee composed the Western Division. Two years later they left the WOL to form the LBC as a group.
Background on the Little Buckeye Conference and Western Ohio League…
Thanks to Yappi poster for the info—–
March 3rd, 1946…Coldwater after announcing they were leaving the league changed their minds…
In 1948 a dispute between St. John (Maria Stein) and the LBC caused a bit of a stir for member schools…
Thanks to Coldwater Public Library and Mercer County Chronicle these memories were found.