(9-26-21) Special teams are a key part of any high school football team, they can win a game for you or lose a game for you…Friday night Niles would suffer a night of mistakes on those special teams.
A look at the overall special teams –
- Vicksburg R.J. Vallier 81 kickoff return to start the game
- made 1 of 2 two-point after touchdowns
- injury to punter Ezra Vance, would result in 3 punts with just a 16 yard average
For the Niles coaching staff it had to be a tough loss, but there were many bright spots for the Vikings.
Talon Brawley was 2-of-9 for 47 yards passing and one TD, he added 51 yards on 24 carries. Julian Means-Flewellen had 95 yards rushing on 25 carries and 1 TD and a 2-point PAT run.
Sam Rucker had a 27 yard reception for a TD and on defense added 3 sacks.
Plus the Vikings were facing a Bulldog team playing their first home game of the year and at a dedication of a refurbished field.
Niles will try again on Friday night in a home Wolverine Conference game vs. Plainwell lost their first game of the season conference powerhouse Edwardsburg 49-0.
1 -2 -3 -4
Niles 6 -0 -8 -0 = 14
Vicksburg 7 -7 -0 -7 = 21
V – R.J. Vallier 81 kickoff return (Kyler Dean kick)
N – Talon Brawley 1 run (run failed)
V – Vallier 24 pass from Evan Anderson (Dean kick)
N – Sam Rucker 27 pass from Brawley (Julian Means-Flewellen run)
V – Bo Skidmore 6 run (Dean kick)
2021 records: Niles 3-2, 2-2 Wolverine; Vicksburg 4-1, 3-1 Wolverine
A look at Niles Point after TD –
- 1-2 on 2-pt attempts vs Vicksburg
- 2-2 on 2 pt attempts 0-1 kick for PAT vs Three Rivers
- 1-1 kick vs. Edwardsburg
- 0-3 on 2-pt attempts 0-1 – kick vs. Sturgis
- 1-4 on 2-pt attempts vs. Buchanan
- 2pt attempts – 4 for 11
- kicks – 1 for 3