(6-14-22) The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Board of Directors met for its regularly scheduled meeting at the IHSA office in Bloomington on Monday, June 13, 2022.
- IHSA Board Discusses All-Class Football Seeding Possible ‘Extreme Travel’ Modifications
- A look back at the roller coaster ride on district votes…Football Districts Rescinded By IHSA Member Schools
- IHSA District Play, ‘This Calls For A Revote’
The IHSA during the meeting announced it had flip-flopped on the seeding process for the football playoffs. What? It is getting to be a regular thing for the leaders of the state association, remember districts were approved…and then disapproved.
Both times the board and association officials made the decisions on seeding…with no input from the membership before making the move. Not included in the minutes was who made the final decision. It has to be disappointing for member schools when these items are changed in this fashion.
1. The Board approved a recommendation to rescind action that was taken in February regarding the seeding of the football playoffs in Class 1A-6A. The Board elected to change the seeding in Class 1A-6A in February to 1-32, but reversed that decision today based on current economic factors. As a result, the IHSA Football Playoff seeding in Class 1A-6A will revert back to being split into two 1-16 brackets in each class.
Rockridge High School Principal and Board President Katy Hasson:
“In February, I was a proponent of the change in the seeding process for the IHSA Class 1A-6A Football Playoffs. When taking into account the current fuel prices, and the fact that this change will create more travel for schools and fans, myself and several other Board members were no longer comfortable implementing the change at this time. I do expect that when fuel prices return to a more manageable price level the Board will revisit this topic.”
At each meeting of the Board of Directors, there are certain items the Board discusses, but upon which no action is taken. The following is a report of those items from the June 13, 2022, agenda:
1. The Board held further discussion on creating an IHSA Football Playoff for eight-player football. The Board has directed the IHSA staff to gather more information on the topic for further review at a future meeting.