(11-20-22) Three double-digit seeded teams will play for IHSA State Football titles this coming weekend in Champaign.
Batavia vs Lake Zurich 2022 – “IHSA Playoffs Round 4”
Paul Thiem – You Tube Video
#18 seed Batavia (10-3) will play for the 7A State title taking on undefeated #1 seed Mt. Carmel. How did the Bulldogs do it?
They opened the playoffs beating #15 seed Guilford 42-0, next they knocked off #2 seed Hersey, who entered the playoffs with a 10-0 record, 19-13. Next up was #7 Yorkville and a 17-6 Batavia win.
Yesterday in the State Semifinal game the Bulldogs would beat another double-digit seed #11 Lake Zurich (11-2) 24-7.
Two other double-digit seeds will play for a state title In 4A Providence Catholic (9-4) and in 5A #11 Nazareth Academy (9-4).
Four #1 seeds remain in the playoffs, 1A, 2A, 7A and 8A. Other seeds include 3 #2 seed, 2 #3’s, 1 #4 and 3 #6 seeds.
A lesson learned…any seed has a chance to win a state title, just making the playoffs is the key.
(1) Lena (Winslow) (13-0) (2) Camp Point (Central) (13-0)
(6) Downs (Tri-Valley) (11-2) (1) Decatur (St. Teresa) (13-0)
(4) Elmhurst (IC Catholic) (12-1) (3) Williamsville (12-1)
(13) New Lenox (Providence Catholic) (9-4) (2) Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin) (13-0)
(11) LaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy) (9-4) (3) Peoria (H.S.) (12-1)
(2) Crystal Lake (Prairie Ridge) (12-1) (6) East St. Louis (Sr.) (11-2)
(1) Chicago (Mt. Carmel) (13-0) (18) Batavia (10-3)
(1) Frankfort (Lincoln-Way East) (13-0) (6) Wilmette (Loyola Academy) (12-1)
Seeding is not the same in every class. In June (2022) the IHSA The Board approved a recommendation to rescind action that was taken in February regarding the seeding of the football playoffs in Class 1A-6A. The Board elected to change the seeding in Class 1A-6A in February to 1-32, but reversed that decision today based on current economic factors. As a result, the IHSA Football Playoff seeding in Class 1A-6A will revert back to being split into two 1-16 brackets in each class.