(12-28-16) St. Marys four-year star Derek Jay (SG 6’3 200lbs) became the fifth Roughrider to score a 1,000 points in his career. Tuesday night against Leipsic, he needed just 10 points, he would put up 22 points on the board to surpass that in the 62-47 win.
The Senior now stands in fifth place all-time, but now he has a real chance to become the all-time career points leader. Mark Ashman (1993-96) currently holds the top spot with 1,194 points, leaving Jay just 182 points behind Ashman to take the top spot. The Riders who have only played 5 games this season, has plenty of time to reach that record and surpass it.
Most Points Career
- 1. Mark Ashman 1,194 (1993-96)
- 2. Damon Goodwin 1,190 (1979-82)
- 3. Garet Fledderjohann 1,111 (2009-13)
- 4. Adam Johns 1,068 (2003-07)
- 5. Derek Jay 1,012 (2013-)
- 6. Scott Vossler 996 (2000-04)
- 7. Dean Cook 963 (1949-51)
- 8. John Kuenzel 951 (1952-56)
- 9. Troy Crouch 913 (1979-82)
- 10. Mike Elston 849 (1990-93)
On Tuesday night he also became the all-time 3-point field goals made career leader hitting five and now has 158 and passing Garet Fledderjohann who had 155.
By the time Jay graduates he could hold numerous Roughrider records. It’s been a very productive career.
Derek is the son of Mike and Kelly, who both have coached and played at a high level during their high school years and careers.