Shawnee Celebration after winning State Title
— PBR Oklahoma (@PBR_Oklahoma) May 13, 2017
(5-14-17) Shawnee is the 2017 SSN National Public High School Baseball Rankings Champion. The Wolves finished a perfect season(40-0) picking up their third consecutive 5A Oklahoma State Baseball Championship this weekend beating Claremore 12-7.
Shawnee Head Coach Todd Boyer told news-star.com after the championship:
“If you had told me at the beginning of the season that we would win 40 straight, I’d have told you that you were crazy… There’s so many variables that can happen throughout the ballgame with high school kids. It’s just an incredible feat.”
North Gwinnett continues to win and is still ranked #2.
#3 La Cueva, who started the season with a loss, reeled off 28 straight wins and beat Cleveland 10-4 this weekend for the New Mexico 6A State Championship. The title is La Cueva’s fifth in the last ten years.
La Cueva’s Senior center fielder Ryan Phillips told the Albuquerque Journal after the state final game:
“We stand as a team. The past 28 games has been a fun ride.”
Two teams, Huntington Beach and Owasso, dropped out of the rankings this week after both picked up their fourth loss of the season.
Earlier this year, Neuqua Valley baseball coach Robin Renner was inducted to the Illinois High School Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame and the “skipper” gives his thoughts on the award.
Two northern schools take their place for the first time this season, Neuqua Valley (28-1-1) and Saline 22-1.
Three schools moved up to #4, #5 and #6 after this past week, Massillon Jackson, Spring Hill and Rancho Bernardo.
SSN National Public High School Baseball Rankings
- – (1) Shawnee (Okla), 40-0
- – (2) North Gwinnett (Suwanee, Ga.), 34-2
- – (3) La Cueva (NM), 28-1
- – (7) Massillon Jackson (Ohio), 24-1
- – (9) Spring Hill (Tenn), 33-2
- – (10) Rancho Bernardo (San Diego, Calif), 27-3
- – (4) Buchanan (Clovis, Calif), 26-3 – lost to Clovis North 3-2
- – (8) West Monroe, (La), 38-3 lost to Baton Rouge Central (30-13) 4-2
- – (NR) Neuqua Valley (Illinois) 28-1-1
- – (NR) Saline, (Mich) 22-1
– (5) Huntington Beach (Calif), 25-4 – lost to Newport Harbor (13-16) 17-2
– (6) Owasso (Okla), 31-4 – lost to Mustang 3-0
— Scott Pfeil (@scottpfeil) May 14, 2017
- Oyster River’s (NH) Brennen Oxford Named SSN National Player of the Week
- Ohio Looking To Extend The High School Baseball Season