#OHSAA BOARD MTG: The board has approved a 2nd half running clock rule for basketball (tournament only) if the margin reaches 35 points.
— OHSAA Sports (@OHSAASports) October 26, 2017
(10-26-17) The above tweet was released this morning during the OHSAA Board meeting.
Looking to add Stateline area coaches reactions –
In 2003, the National Federation of State High School Associations’ (NFHS) basketball rules committee gave states the ability to create rules that would allow the clock to run without interruption (except for coaches’ timeouts) if the lead reached a certain number at a specific point in a game.
Other states who presently have running clocks and their guidelines-
- Nebraska School Activities Association – one team goes up by 40 points after the first half. The rule is implemented in all classes and for all regular-season and postseason games., clock will continue to run even if the margin falls below 40 points later in the game.
- Minnesota – 35 points
- Missouri – 40 points
- Iowa High School Athletic Association 35-point rule – allow the clock to resume normal operation if the trailing team cuts the deficit below 25 points.
- Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union 35-point guideline – allow the clock to resume normal operation if the trailing team cuts the deficit below 25 points.
- Virginia High School League 30-point mercy rule for boys and girls basketball during the regular season
- Colorado 35-point or more margin in the fourth quarter, a running clock will be used. The clock would only stop for injuries, timeouts and free throws. Even if a team cuts the deficit under 35 points, the clock will still run.
- South Dakota – used for all regular season, Region, and Sweet 16 contests. When the point differential reaches 30 or more points in the 2nd half, the clock will continue to run. The clock will only be stopped for free throws and timeouts. Regular timing will be used if the score differential drops back to less than 20 points.
- Wisconsin – a running clock starts when one team extends its lead to 40 points