(6-6-18) ‘If first you don’t succeed, try, try again.” DeKalb’s chances for finding a new conference home could be in the future as the Barbs reapply for membership consideration in the Upstate Eight.
- Are Yorkville And West Aurora Headed To The Southwest Prairie Conference?
- Insight Into Southwest Prairie Conference Expansion
How did this happen? West Aurora will find out in the weeks and months ahead if they will become a member of the Southwest Prairie Athletic Conference. SWPC principals, who oversee the conference, will be holding a meeting on June 18th to discuss future expansion. Should West Aurora be approved by the SWPC, DeKalb’s chances would greatly improve.
The loss of West Aurora would leave the U8C with only nine members assuring that at least one new member would be required. But the way conference changes take place, should another member school leave or several schools apply to join or the SWPC says no to West Aurora things could change, so this is not a done deal for DeKalb.
DeKalb AD Nic Kearfott in a reply to SSN’s email:
DeKalb has reapplied to join the upstate eight conference. There is a rumor going around that the Southwest Prairie Conference may expand by adding Yorkville and West Aurora as members. If that happens, we hope to be considered at an option to fill West Aurora’s spot in the Upstate Eight. I believe the SWPC will vote on expansion in mid-June.
Kearfott told the Daily Chronicle in a story yesterday that the school had reapplied for admittance to the U8C:
“We got a reply saying that they received [DeKalb’s application] and will take it under consideration if things work out the way they think they might.”
Jason Ward South Elgin Athletic Director in response to a SSN email request:
The Upstate 8 has committed to a ten conference for the 18-19 and 19-20 school years with adding Glenbard South for the upcoming school year. If there is an opportunity for other schools to join our conference, we will look into it after the 19-20 school year.
Did you know….
- St. Charles East, St. Charles North, Batavia and Geneva will merge with exiting DuPage Valley Conference members Wheaton Warrenville South, Wheaton North, Glenbard North and Lake Park to form the new DuKane Conference in the fall
- In 2018-19 the U8(10)C will have Glenbard East, West Aurora, East Aurora, Glenbard South, West Chicago, Elgin, Larkin, Streamwood, Bartlett and South Elgin
- Yorkville is also applying to the Southwest Praire Conference, they are members of the NIB 12 for one more year, as is DeKalb