(3-18-19) Private vs Public is highlighted again this year in the OHSAA Boys Basketball State Championships, Seven of the 16 Final Four schools are private schools. The good news for public schools this year, they are guaranteed at least two state titles.
- from 2018 – Competitive Balance Plan Impacts OHSAA Boys Basketball Tournament
- from 2017 – Public vs Private Raises It’s ‘Ugly Head’ In Ohio
Why? The seven private schools are all in D III (four private schools) and D I (three private schools).
With 44% of the schools being private schools in the Final 16 and the guarantee of one private school claiming a State championship (D III) and a good chance of another private school winning a DI title. Those who are concerned about the disparity of public vs. private schools winning championships have some solid ground to stand on.
Is the Competitive Balance Plan’s complicated formula working or is it failing the OHSAA? Does it even matter?
Several states around the US are looking to split association schools into separate public and private championships. Pennsylvania right now has the state legislature involved in the future of a possible split.The talks and discussions has caused some hard feelings and some bitterness between the two sides.
Is there an answer that will keep both sides happy in the future…don’t bet on it.
- No. 5 Cincinnati Purcell Marian (24-4) vs. No. 2 Canal Winchester Harvest Prep (26-2), Thursday, 12 p.m.
- Cleveland Heights Lutheran East (19-8) vs. Oregon Cardinal Stritch (24-3), Thursday, 2 p.m.
- Division III State Championship: Saturday, 10:45 a.m.
- Thornville Sheridan (21-5) vs. No. 2 Columbus South (27-1), Thursday, 6 p.m.
- Akron Buchtel (20-7) vs. No. 1 Trotwood-Madison (26-2), Thursday, 8 p.m.
- Division II State Championship: Saturday, 2 p.m.
- No. 1 Berlin Hiland (27-1) vs. No. 3 St. Henry (24-3), Friday, 12 p.m.
- Richmond Heights (21-6) vs. No. 2 Convoy Crestview (26-1), Friday, 2 p.m.
- Division IV State Championship: Saturday, 5:15 p.m.
- Lakewood St. Edward (19-8) vs. No. 1 Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller (27-0) Friday, 6 p.m.
- Powell Olentangy Liberty (24-4) vs. No. 7 Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary (23-3), Friday, 8 p.m.
- Division I State Championship: Saturday, 8:30 p.m.