(10-29-21) It took 3 sets for #1 seed Hononegah (29-7) to knock off NIC 10 rival Guildford 21-25, 25-18-25-19 last night in the Class 4A Regional Final at Harlem. It was the 3rd time the two teams met, with both winning a match in league play.
The Indians were led last night by Emma Schroeder(6’2 MB Kent State signee) with 10 kills, Ella Jensen with 9 kills and Keira Shannon with eight, Olivia Heidel had 27 assists.
Hononegah senior Ella Jensen told WREX TV:
“We have gone through so much as a team. We’ve never deserved anything more. It’s amazing. Every single one of my teammates has tried their hardest and put in so much time. I’m so glad it paid off for all of us.”
Mon., Oct. 25
- Match 1: Harlem d. Rockford East 25-15, 25-16
Tue., Oct. 26
- Match 2: Hononegah d. Harlem , 25-11, 25-21
- Match 3: Rockford Guilford d. DeKalb, 25-12, 25-16
Thu., Oct. 28
- CHAMPIONSHIP – Match 4: Hononegah d. Rockford Guilford 21-25, 25-18, 25-19
The Indians move on to the Grant Sectional on Monday where they will take on Algoquin Jacobs at 5:30pm. Jacobs advanced to the Sectional winning the Streamwood Regional beating St. Charles North 25-22, 25-14.
Jacobs Coach Mike Depa told the Daily Herald after the match:
“Our seniors just continually pushed each other to get better every single practice and game. They have talked so much about how this season is just different than past ones. We had some setbacks, but when you have strong leadership, you don’t let those setbacks derail you. I told our seniors that they were going to set the tone tonight and I think they played one of the best games they have played all year tonight.”
Fox Lake (Grant) Sectional
Mon., Nov. 1
- Match 1 at 5:30 pm: (1) Hononegah vs. (5) Algonquin Jacobs
- Match 2 at 6:30 pm: (7) St. Charles East vs. (3) Huntley
Wed., Nov. 3
- Match 3 at 6:00 pm: Winner Match 1 vs. Winner Match 2