(5-8-23) It was not a pretty site. The season has ended for Elizabethton and Unicoi County baseball teams after a brawl broke out during this weekend’s Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA) Division 1-3A playoff game. Elizabethton led 11-9 with one out in the bottom of the seventh when the fight started and the game was stopped.
A double-forfeit was declared and Tennessee High was named the district champion. The Vikings will join Greeneville and Cherokee in the Region 1-3A tournament Friday and Saturday in Bristol.
Both schools are appealing the decisions made by the association with hopes of being reinstated to the playoffs.
- Unicoi County was fined $1,250
- The baseball team was placed on restrictive probation for the remainder of the 2022-23 school year.
- The team is also on probation for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Elizabethton was fined $1,750
- The baseball team is on restrictive probation for the rest of this school year as well
- Elizabethton is under two years of probation until the 2024-2025 school year.
Below is a letter that was emailed to the TSSAA from Elizabethton Principal Jonathan Minton—