UPDATED 1-17-18 –
And the winner is the Fox Valley Conference….the Central School District 301 Board of Education voted, 5-0, last night to accept the FVC’s invitation and decline joining the five remaining NIB 12 members.
The final choice seemed cleared after the BOE’s board packet showed a recommendation to select the FVC.
Hampshire principal Brett Bending, president of the FVC principals group told Joe Stevenson of the Northwest Herald:
“We’re very excited.”
“Burlington Central makes total sense to be an FVC school based on location and the pace at which they are growing, which only makes the conference stronger. The future is bright in the FVC.”
The addition of the Rockets as the 10th member solves football scheduling issues for the FVC, it will eliminate open dates for members during the season.
(1-12-18) Today in a special meeting, Burlington Central met with the five remaining Northern Illinois Big 12 members to discuss the future of the conference and hoping that the Rockets will consider becoming the 6th member. This meeting was expedited after the sudden departure of five NIB 12 members in December.
How did the meeting go this morning?
Nic Kearfott, DeKalb Director of Athletics
Burlington Central will be making their recommendation to their BOE on Tuesday (1-16-18) night of which conference they feel is the best fit for them. They will notify us on Wednesday of what direction their BOE decides to go.
The decision could have already been made, in the District 301 BOE January board packet the following came from a memo that was recently updated:
- Conference Reccomendation included in January 1-16-18 – Agenda
- Burlington Central BOE Minutes – 12-18-17 Minutes
- Conference Comparison Power Point Presentation – 12-18-17
- Burlington Central BOE Minutes – 11-27-17 Minutes
Burlington Central has been searching for a new conference home since the Kishwaukee River Conference ‘booted’ the Rockets for becoming to big based on future enrollment predictions.
The Burlington Central administration has been working on finding a new home since they found out the news from the KRC.
Past minutes from the November and December BOE meetings;
Link to Power Point mentioned above – Conference Comparison
16th the speculation will be done and the Rockets will have a new home. One conference will have solved a problem, the other will continue to find a solution.
Related Conference Chatter:
- Burlington Central In The ‘Catbird Seat’
- NIC 10 AD Talks About NIB 12, DeKalb and Sycamore
- DeKalb To Consider League Options, Including NIC 10
- Sycamore Hoping To Find Stable Athletic Conference Situation
- Northern Illinois Big 12 (-7) ‘Blows Up’, DeKalb and Sycamore Left Behind
- Conference Kicks Out School For Being Too BIG
- Interstate Eight Conference, Blowing Up