(5-29-18) #1 Hillsdale is next up next for Bradford in the D IV State Softball Final Four games to be played in Akron’s Firestone Stadium on Friday morning.
#1 Hillsdale advanced to the State finals winning the Division IV Akron Regional Championship after a 3-0 win over Mohawk.
Senior pitcher Sydney Long (Ohio Dominican recruit) allowed just two hits and struck out 14 Mohawk batters, she can also hit as she had an RBI double in the bottom of the 1st . Long and the Falcons now have outscored their opponents during their tournament run by a combined score of 37-0.
Hillsdale vs Bristol – You Tube Video by Daily Record
In their 6-0 Regional semifinal win over Bristol Sophie Goon led the way going 3-for-4 with a single, double and triple with a pair of RBIs.
Offensive Stats before Regional Play
- Sydney Long (Sr) (.459 with 28 RBIs)
- Sophie Goon (Jr) ( .400, team-high 30 RBI
- Hattie Stamen (Soph) (.397, 12 stolen bases)
- junior Emily Crossen (Jr) (.372, 23 RBIs, 24 runs)
- Kaylee Cline (Sr) (.357, 24 RBIs, 17 runs)
Long was named the Wayne County Athletic League Player of the Year and she did it from the circle with a 0.86 ERA and on offense with a 459 batting average. Hillsdale’s second-year coach Hannah Fulk was named the Coach of the Year.
Long’s teammates on the WCAL first team included, Kaylee Cline, Josie Rowland, Keirah Smetzer and Emily Crossen and on the 2nd team Sophie Goon, Olivia Betson and Hattie Stamen.
Over the years the Hillsdale softball program has been quite successful, the Falcons have been to nine State Final Fours. They’ve won five state titles over the years.
Trips to the Final Four
- 1992 lost Triad 3-2 Final
- 1994 beat Mohawk 3-2 – 8 innings Final
- 1995 lost to Newton 7-2 Semifinal
- 1996 beat Coldwater 3-0 Final
- 1999 beat Colonel Crawford 2-1 Final
- 2000 beat North Union 2-0 Final
- 2007 lost Navarre Fairless 3-2 Semifinal
- 2010 won West Libert-Salem 2-1
- 2016 lost Strasburg-Franklin 2-0 Semifinal
How Hillsdale made it to the Final Four…
- Mapleton W 20-0 – 5 innings
- Columbia W 3-0
- Lake Center Christian W 5-0
- Bristol W 6-0
- Mohawk W 3-0
For Bradford it will be their first ever trip to the Softball Final Four. They’ve earned their way to a top 10 ranking and now the Final Four.
The Railroaders won their Regional Final in impressive style knocking off #2 ranked Parkway 12-1 in 6 innings.
The key moment happened in the 4th inning when Parkway coach Mark Esselstein decided to intentionally walk Miller to load the bases, next up was Bailey Wysong who would hit a grand slam and give the Railroaders a 6-0 lead.
After the game Parkway Coach Mark Esselstein told the Daily Advocate:
“Skipp is a tough pitcher. She didn’t get her normally 15 strikeouts, but their defense made plays. Our kids kept battling. It is not easy to make it to the regional finals. We had a great season, but I told the girls, ‘the farther you go, the more it hurts.”
Bradford scored 12 runs on 14 hits. Freshman sensation Skipp Miller held Parkway to 1 run on 2 hits and she had five strikeouts.
Earlier in the season Versailles coach Chris Floyd told the Daily Advocate after Miller struck out 19 Tigers in a 2-0 Bradford win:
“We run against a buzz saw like that. I mean she’s probably running up there 62, 63 miles an hour.”
Offensive Stats up to May 25th
- Skipp Miller, Bradford: .549, 32 RBI, 0.77 ERA
- Bianca Keener, Bradford: .424
- Chelsea Gill, Bradford: .419
- Bailey Wysong, Bradford: 24 RBI
- Samantha Brewer, Bradford: 1.75 ERA
How Bradford made it to the Final Four…
- Southeastern Local W 10-0
- Tri-County North W 8-2
- Cincinnati Christian W 2-1 – 8 innings
- Mechanicsburg W 2-0
- Parkway W 12-1 – 6 innings
D IV State Finals Softball Schedule
FRIDAY, JUNE 1
10:00am – Div. IV # 1 Jeromesville Hillsdale (25-2) vs. # 10 Bradford (22-3)
12:30pm – Div. IV Defiance Tinora (17-6) vs. No. 5 Strasburg-Franklin (20-5)
SATURDAY, JUNE 2
4:00pm – Division IV State Final
Did you know….
- Hillsdale played their two regional games at the Akron Firestone Stadium, host stadium for the State Finals
- Bradford’s Skipp Miller as a freshman has already committed to play softball at Ohio University
- Bradford was an original member of the Midwest Athletic Conference
- The Railroaders have four freshmen starters
- Hillsdale’s last trip to state was in 2016