(11-14-18) This past weekend the Eastern Cincinnati Conference added three new members and will expand to ten members. The ECC has been an eight member conference, but with Withrow leaving the conference would have been down to just seven members.
Lebanon, Little Miami and Winton Woods will join the ECC in 2020 and this should cause some additional membership shifting in the region. For Lebanon and Winton Woods it is a reprieve from being turned down for ECC membership just last December.
Lebanon was a victim of the recent explosion and splitting of the Greater Western Ohio Conference, that saw the northern members leave in mass to form a new conference, leaving the remaining schools to keep the GWOC in place. With Lebanon on the way out, the GWOC will be left with just nine members.
Little Miami’s departure will leave the Southwest Ohio Conference with just six members, Edgewood, Harrison, Mount Healthy, Northwest, Ross and Talawanda.
For both the GWOC and the SWOC, the uneven number of members causes big problems for football scheduling. The two conferences will both be on the hunt for new additions for the future.
For several traumatic years, since the break-up of the Fort Ancient Valley Conference, Winton Woods has been an independent. The Warriors are the biggest winner of the ECC expansion.
ECC Press Release
On November 9, the eight members of the Eastern Cincinnati Conference (ECC) unanimously voted to extend membership invitations to Lebanon, Little Miami, and Winton Woods High Schools! The Eastern Cincinnati Conference is excited and deeply proud to announce that all three schools have accepted the invitation to join the conference. Competition in the new ten-team conference will begin in the 2020-2021 season.
This is a historic day for the ECC. We believe the expansion of the conference to ten schools enhances our already outstanding athletic and academic position in Southwest Ohio.
The entire ECC would like to extend our congratulations to Lebanon, Little Miami, and Winton Woods High Schools!
Great Conference to get GREATER! Little Miami, Lebanon, and Winton Woods have accepted the ECC’s invitation to join the conference beginning with the 2020-2021 season! What a great day for the ECC, and it is with tremendous pride that we welcome these schools into our family!
— ECC SID (@ECC_Sports) November 10, 2018
Did you know…
- The three expansion members will join, Anderson, Kings, Loveland, Milford, Turpin, Walnut Hills and West Clermont in 2020
- Current member Withrow is leaving the ECC to return to the Cincinnati Metro Athletic Conference in 2020
- Lebanon has been a member of the Greater Western Ohio Conference since 2006-07
- Remaining GWOC schools after Lebanon leaves, Trotwood-Madison, Miamisburg, Northmont and Springboro in the GWOC National West. The GWOC National East – Beavercreek, Centerville, Fairmont, Springfield and Wayne
- Little Miami has been a member of the Southwest Ohio Conference since the 2012-13
- SWOC has six remaining members Edgewood, Harrison, Mount Healthy, Northwest, Ross and Talawanda
- Little Miami and Winton Woods are former member of the Fort Ancient Valley Conference