- From IHSAA Commissioner Bobby Cox….
- To: Member School Principals and Athletic Administrators
- From: Bobby Cox, Commissioner
- Re: IHSAA Spring Sports Update
(3-13-20) Good morning. In light of concerns surrounding COVID-19 respective of IHSAA spring sports, I would like to provide the following considerations and clarity.
- Regular season contests are conducted at the discretion of our member schools. Currently, the guidance being provided by the State of Indiana allows for events with less than 250 individuals in attendance to be conducted. Local jurisdiction shall prevail with regard to whether contests in the regular season are conducted.
- Some schools in our state have closed and will implement extended break periods. Once students return to school, all provisions of Rule 9-14 – Practice Attendance to Participate in a Contest shall be enforced. This health and safety measure within the by-laws will not be waived. Should a previously scheduled contest fall before the completion of said separate days of practice, the contest must be rescheduled or cancelled.
- A decision on meeting a minimum number of contests to become eligible for IHSAA tournament series events will be made at a later date.
- At this time, the IHSAA is planning on staging all spring sport tournament series events as scheduled.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office at your convenience.