(5-15-20) Governor Mike DeWine released guidelines to limit the spread of COVID-19 as softball and baseball begin their summer seasons.
The guidance lists mandatory requirements, as well as recommended best practices.
- six-foot separations as mandatory requirements, except in the field of play.
- Face coverings must be worn when not actively participating in the game.
- There is to be no spitting or eating seeds, gum or other similar products, and shared water coolers are prohibited.
- Before competitive tournaments, event owners must alert the local health department of the event.
- The guidance also breaks down what to do if a participant tests positive for COVID-19.
- It is recommended that umpires calling balls and strikes should allow adequate distance behind the catcher, while still able to perform their duty.