(10-8-22) Two separate shootings during high school football games, one in Columbus and one in Toledo, forced games to be suspended this week.

Thursday night in Columbus the Marion-Franklin – vs Africentric game was stopped with one minute left until half and the game was postponed until Saturday.

Columbus City Schools spokesperson said-

“The District’s Safety and Security personnel placed the area on lockdown while Columbus Police responded and investigated,” CCS spokesperson Jacqueline Bryant said in an email. “Individuals not associated with either school are believed to be responsible. No CCS students were involved, and no injuries were reported.”

The game was finished today.

In Toledo last night two adults and one juvenile were shot, but are expected to be okay. The shootings took place during the Toledo Central Catholic game.

Those who had been shot were found near the football field house and taken to a nearby hospital.

There are no suspects in custody at this time.

The incident occurred with just under seven minutes remaining in the fourth quarter with Central Catholic leading 46-16.

Toledo Mayor Wade Kapszukiewicz

Last night was a terrible and traumatic event. Thankfully what can be said about what happened at the Whitmer / Central Catholic football game is this: all 3 victims sustained only minor injuries, and they will all be OK.

The City of Toledo and the Washington Local Schools are working together to determine what transpired during the 4th quarter of the game. Surveillance video has already been helpful in identifying the potential target, and while no one is in custody at this time, TPD will continue its investigation until all facts are gathered and justice is served.

A total of 16 law enforcement professionals were working the game, so a substantial police presence was in place before the event occurred. Additionally and according to WLS policy, all guests entering the stadium were scanned with a metal wand for weapons. Following the shooting which occurred outside the stadium, WLS officials did a superb job of executing its emergency evacuation plan, which played a crucial role in protecting the safety of those in attendance.

There is still a lot we don’t know about the events of last night, but we do know this — what happened in our City was unacceptable. Everyone should be able to enjoy a Friday night football game without having to fear for their safety.

We are thankful that no one was seriously injured, but we will not rest until those involved are brought to justice — and events like this never happen again. 

Wade Kapszukiewicz
Dr. Kadee Anstadt
Chief George Kral

Central Catholic High School’s Head of School, Kevin Parkins