Congratulations to the HC Wildcats on tonight’s win. That’s why you play the game! On to the next round…PIAA State Semi-Finals. pic.twitter.com/x5BLzyZx8f
— HomerCenter Baseball (@baseball_hc) November 25, 2017
(11-25-17) Three teams dropped out of the this week’s SSN Consecutive Winning Streaks, Bishop Guilfoyle, Wise and Darien.
The last team to beat Bishop Guilfoyle was Homer-Center, after that loss the Marauders won 59 in a row. The Wildcats would end that streak with a 20-14 win in the District 6 Class 1A championship game on Friday night at Mansion Park.
The Marauders had a final chance to win it, but Senior Nick Schmidt batted down a pass at the Wildcats 1 yard line on fourth-and-4 with just over a minute to play to save the 20-14 win and advance to the next round of the playoffs.
Bishop Guilfoyle Senior Josh Yasulitis told the Altoona Mirror after the game:
“It’s disappointing right now. Looking back, we’re going to be 59-1 in our career, and I believe this team played our hearts out.”
The 59 consecutive wins was Pennsylvania’s second-longest win streak in history at 59 games.
SCORE BY QUARTERS Homer-Center 0 7 0 13 — 20 Bishop Guilfoyle 7 0 0 07 — 14
Wise had its streak ended at 40 when they lost to Quince Orchard 40-21, while Darien saw its streak end at 34 after a loss to New Caanan 27-0.
Playoffs always collect of few these streaks, in the last two weeks five schools have seen their streaks end.
The champs being escorted back into town. An entire community coming together to celebrate the ultimate accomplishment in High School Sports! pic.twitter.com/BKbK4gc03B
— Ben Barton (@BenBarton299) November 25, 2017
Caledonia picked up a 57-6 win over Pipestone in the Minnesota Class AA Prep Bowl on Friday at U.S. Bank Stadium. Caledonia won its three state playoff games in convincing fashion by a combined score of 144-22.
With the win the Warriors have won three straight state championship, 41 straight games and nine overall football championships.
Caledonia Head Coach Carl Fruechte told the Post-Bulletin after the game:
“It’s very special. It never gets old.”
Longest Current Consecutive Winning Streaks
1. Kimberly (Wis.) — 70. Kimberly 27 Sun Prairie 7 (November 17th)– D I State Championship Game Season Completed
2. Soldotna (Alaska) — 59. Soldotna 21 Palmer 0 (Alaska Medium School State Championship Title #6) (10-14-17) Season Completed
***Bishop Guilfoyle (Altoona, Pa.) — 59. – lost to Homer-Center 20-14 (November 17th) Season Completed
3. Lamar (Missouri) – 48 – Lamar 37 Lafayette County 20 – up next –
4. Caledonia (Minnesota) –41 – Caledonia 57 Pipeline 6 Minnesota State Championshiop Game – Season Completed
***Wise (Upper Marlboro, Md) – 40– Quince Orchard 40 Wise 21 3rd round playoffs (November 17th) – Season Completed
5. Royal (Royal City, Washington) – 40– Royal 35 Newport 7 (November 25th) – up next
6. Simmons (Mississippi) – 38 – Simmons 20 Okolona 14 – up next Nanih Waiya Playoff game
7. IMG Academy – 36 – IMG Academy 49 Bishop Sullivan (Va) 0 Season Completed
***. Darien (Conn) – 34– New Canaan 27 Darien 0 – Season Completed
8. Westfield (NJ) – 34 – Westfield 13 Elizabeth 6– up next Bridgewater-Raritan (November 30th)