(11-27-17) – In a story today by Sportsfan 1330‘s Randy Ruef Rockford Jefferson Athletic Director Mike Armato announced that the J-Hawks will forfeit their first round of girls basketball NIC 10 conference games.
Armato told Ruef:
“Unfortunately, due to a variety of factors, we’ve had to cancel the conference games for both our varsity and sophomores.”
“But we’re actively working with our kids to get some more participation and get some academic things worked out,” he said. “Then we hope to re-engage our schedule at the first of the year.”
The NIC 10 schedule will start tomorrow night for everyone except Auburn, who was to play Jefferson, no official word on if they will finish the season of forfeit the entire season.
Armato told Reuf why the decision to forfeit these games was selecte4d:
“You want to be consistent among the other conference schools. It wasn’t going to be a situation where we play a game here and a game there. In order to be fair across the board we told each team it could have a forfeit.”
In the past School Administrator Mat Parker and the RPS 205 school district have avoided giving a statement on negative issues, based on ‘confidentially isues’.
It is the second time in the past five years that Jefferson has forfeited conference games, the last time was when they forfeited the three final games in 2013. The reason given was Senior players were skipping practice.
In a Rockford Register story in 2013 Parker gave his input:
“This is the right decision. It will have a positive effect in the long run and already has with some of this behavior trickling down to the sophomore team. Once the (Boylan) decision was made last week, they were all recommitted. They had a big win and were there the next day, all of them, for Saturday practice at 8 a.m.”