The Jay County girls swim team picks up the IHSAA Sectional title today in their home pool.
The Patriots picked up the title outdistancing Norwell by 100 points, 431.5-331. Other Stateline area teams saw South Adams in 4th (248), Bellmont was 6th (184.5) and Adams Central ended in 9th (112.5).
Jay County won four individual events and picked up two relay titles. The Patriots were led by Alex Bader (50 freestyle and 100 breaststroke) who won two individual events and was a member of the two relay teams. Also picking up individual wins were Erica Hathaway (500 yard freestyle) and Eliza Bader (100 yard butterfly). Ashlyn Dow, Vivienne Kunkler and Elizabeth McDowell were part of the winning relay teams (200 yard freestyle relay and 200 yard freestyle relay).
- Erica Hathaway – 500 freestyle
- Alex Bader – 50 freestyle, 100 breaststroke, 200 yard freestyle relay and 200 yard medley relay
- Eliza Bader – 100 butterfly, 200 yard medley relay and 200 yard freestyle relay
- Ashlyn Dow – 200 yard medley relay and 200 yard freestyle relay
- Vivienne Kunkler – 200 yard freestyle relay and 200 yard freestyle relay
- Elizabeth McDowell- 200 yard medley relay
One South Adams swimmer is headed to Indianapolis, Ashley LeFever picked up the 100 yard freestyle win.
- Ashley LeFever – 100 yard freestyle
Advancement To State Procedure
1. First place sectional winners in each event qualify for the state meet plus
2. Any contestant who equals or betters the state time standard in their respective event in the consolation finals or championship finals of the sectional qualifies for the state. The state standard may not be achieved by a swimmer who is competing as the first leg of a relay.
3. The next fastest number of contestants in the state that would bring the total number of state meet entrants to thirty-two (32) in each event. In the event that a tie exists for the 32nd position, the tie shall stand and both swimmers shall advance to the state championships.