(3-22-19) It was another tough day for the OHSAA State Boys Basketball Tournament. Today they had competition in Columbus with the NCAA 1st Round games being played at Nationwide Arena.
Total attendance for today’s semifinal games was down from 2018 by 11,884, add the loss from Thursday’s attendance of 14, 306 and the total of 26,190 for all of the semifinal games is eye-popping.
- OHSAA Boys Basketball State Championship Thursday Attendance Numbers…Disappointing
- Past Attendance Marks For State Tournament
The OHSAA was hoping to improve attendance numbers after several years of losing numbers, the new changes implemented have not done what they were meant to do, bring in more fans.
Many will say it is due to the private schools, if that is the case tomorrow’s State Finals attendance numbers will be down. D III and DI will feature all-private schools in both championship games.
The argument that the smaller schools don’t have issues with attendance during the tournament, might think different after the D IV numbers were also down by 5,084 paid admissions.
Difference (2018-2019) —
Total loss in attendance for Friday 11,884
- D IV – 16,411 (2018) – 11,327 (2019) = 5,084
- D I – 18,880 (2018) – 12,080 (2019) = 6,800
2019 Friday Semifinals Attendance Numbers
2019 Division IV Semifinals
Attendance for session 3 was 11,327
- Berlin Hiland vs. St. Henry
- Crestview vs. Richmond Heights
7,408 – DIV– Berlin Hiland vs. Cornerstone Christian
9,003 – DIV – Pandora-Gilboa vs. Marion Local
2019 Division I Semifinals
Attendance for session 4 was 12,080
- Cincinnati Moeller vs. Lakewood St. Edward
- Olentangy Liberty vs. Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary
10,899 – DI Cincinnati Moeller vs Lorain
7,981 – DI Pickerington Central vs Solon