(2-21-17) Many of the top SSN teams are in the midst of State High School Basketball tournaments.
In Illinois, two schools are moving down the tournament trail.
Byron (#9) will play Camp Point Central in an IHSA 2A semifinals game on. Friday in Bloomington, with the winner advancing to the state championship game on Saturday. The Tigers had no trouble beating Sherrard 56-20 in the Monmouth’s Supersectional. Byron is looking to repeat as State Champions, their only losses this season were to 4A state-ranked Rockford Boylan and 4A nationally ranked Montini.
Edwardsville advanced to the IHSA 4A sectional final game at Normal Community after beating Springfield 67-47 and will now play Rock Island (31-1). Junior guard Kate Martin led the Tigers with 18 points.
Homestead (27-2) advanced to the IHSAA 4A state finals with a 63-40 win over Northridge on Saturday, where the Spartans will play Indianapolis Pike (24-3) at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.
The Spartans have knocked off three state-ranked teams on their way to the Championship game, No. 3 Zionsville and No. 5 Carmel in the regionals and No. 7 Northridge in the semistate.
Homestead’s Jazmyne Geist and Teryn Kline (2/21/17)
Cara Ursin (Baylor signee) had a triple-double last night with 30 points, 18 rebounds and 11 assists to lead Destrehan to a 75-49 win over No. 19 state-ranked New Iberia in the second round of the Class 5A Louisiana nonselect playoffs.
The Top 5 schools remain the same in this week’s ranking, with Riverdale dominating the #1 spot again this week. Riverdale’s Anastasia Hayes (PG) and Megan Walker of Monacan both found out today they are two of the five finalist for the Naismith Trophy.
SSN National Girls HS Basketball Public School Rankings
- -Riverdale (27-0) Murfreesboro, TN
- -Centennial (29-2) Las Vegas, NV
- -Monacan (24-0) Richmond, VA
- -Grandview (22-1) Aurora, CO
- -Clovis West (27-2) Fresno, CA
- -Central Valley (23-0) Veradale, WA
- -Hopkins (25-0) Minnetonka, MN
- -Homestead (27-2) (Indiana)
- -Byron (32-2) Illinois
- -Edwardsville (29-0) (Illinois)
- -Milwaukee Rufus King (21-0) (Wisconsin)
- -Destrehan (32-0) (Louisiana)
- -Duncanville (34-2) Duncanville, TX
- -Mesquite (29-1) Gilbert, AZ
- -Norcross (26-2) Norcross, GA
- -Timberview (34-2) Mansfield, TX
- -Long Beach Polytechnic (22-3) Long Beach, CA
7 of the ranked teams this week is undefeated, one school Long Beach Poly has the most losses 3. Homestead, after an impressive tournament run to this point, moved 8 spots this week.
— Clint Brakebill (@CBrakebill) February 16, 2017
Four schools who are hoping to break in to the rankings includes; Amarillo (TX), Olive Branch (Miss), Wichita South (KS) and Indianola (Iowa).
Just In: Five finalists named for the Naismith High School Girls Trophy were announced today by the Atlanta Tipoff Club-
- Rellah Boothe, forward, IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.), Texas
- Dana Evans, point guard, West Side (Gary, Ind.), Louisville
- Anastasia Hayes, point guard, Riverdale (Murfreesboro, Tenn.), Tennessee
- Megan Walker, wing, Monacan (Chesterfield, Va.), Connecticut
- Evina Westbrook, guard, South Salem (Ore.), Tennessee