(7-8-17) The MLB draft signing period ended yesterday at 5 p.m. Friday, with that three former Ohio State players signed contracts with their respective teams.
- outfielder Tre’ Gantt – Indians
- catcher Jalen Washington – Padres
- pitcher Shea Murray (Defiance) – Pirates
The only Buckeye drafted player who will play for Ohio State in 2018 season will be Celina grad Seth Lonsway. The 6-foot-1 left handed pitcher, originally expected to be selected in the third round of the draft , was selected in the 19th round by the Cincinnati Reds with the 557th overall pick, but did not sign with the club after it used the remainder of its allotted bonus money ($7.23 million) to sign second-overall selection Hunter Greene.
Lonsway was ranked as the 148th-best draft prospect this year by the MLB Pipeline. Lonsway committed this past fall to play for Ohio State.
Lonsway’s numbers this past season, the lefty went 7-1 with a 1.31 ERA and 92 Ks in 48 innings. He also became the Bulldogs career strikeout King.
Other honors for Lonsway this season included, WBL Player of the Year, D II NW District Player of the Year and D2 State co-Player of the Year.
- What’s Next For Lonsway? Buckeye or Red
- BASEBALL: All State Teams Feature Area Stars
- Celina and WBL Well Represented On Northwest All District Team
- Celina’s Lonsway Named WBL Player of the Year
- Baseball: Celina’s (Oh) Seth Lonsway Named SSN National Player of the Week
- Lonsway and the MLB Draft
- Lonsway Named 2017 Collegiate Baseball High School All-American