(8-18-17) Kimberly scored with just 44 seconds to remain in the game and preserve their winning streak, now at 57.
The winning TD, was a DJ Stewart 1 Yard Rushing TD, the key extra point to win the game was when Stewart completed a pass to Kyle McConnell for the 2 Point Conversion.
Fond du Lac scored with just 3:25 to go in fourth quarter and hit the extra point and had a chance to upset Kimberly 28-27 and end the longest high school football winning streak in the US.
In a close game all night Fond du Lac scored 14 points in the third quarter to take a 21-14 lead into the final quarter. The Papermakers would score score 13 straight points in the fourth, but did not convert on the extra point and a take a 27-21 lead.
Last season Fond du Lac lost a playoff game to Kimberly by just three points 32-29.
— Kari Bustamante (@karibusta) August 19, 2017
Up north in Alaska the Soldotna Stars had no trouble in keeping their streak alive with a 64-6 win over the Dimond Lynx and win #51 in a row.
The Stars scored eight touchdowns on eight-straight drives, while the defense forced five turnovers.
Brenner Furlong had four touchdowns on runs of 24 yards, 55 yards, 56 yards and 37 yards.
Quarterback Brandon Crowder added three TD passes to tight end Galen Brantley III.
The Stars will face South Anchorage at home, who are 2-0 on the season, including last night’s road win at Chugiak 42-21.
Scores by Quarter –
Dimond – 0 – 0 -6 -0 = 6
Soldotna – 21 -28 -7 -8= 64
Next week national powerhouse Bishop Gorman will travel to Maryland to face DeMatha looking for win #55.
Next Friday Pellas opens the season at Oskalossa looking for win #42 in a row, while on Saturday, Bishop Guilfoyle will go for win #48 against Bedford.
1. Kimberly (Wis.) — 57. WIN – Kimberly 35 Fond du Lac (Wis.) 28 Aug. 18, up next (Aug 25) vs. Lincoln
2. Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) — 54. Opens season vs. DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.) Aug. 25
3. Soldotna (Alaska) — 51. WIN – Soldonta 64 Dimond 6 Aug. 18., up next(Aug 25) vs. South Anchorage
4. Bishop Guilfoyle (Altoona, Pa.) — 47. Opens season vs. Bedford (Pa.) Aug. 26
tie. Bremond (Texas) — 47. Opens vs. Whitewright (Texas) Aug. 31
6. Pella (Iowa) — 41. Opens at Oskaloosa (Iowa) Aug. 25
7. Wagoner (Okla.) — 37. Opens at Coweta (Okla.) Sept. 1
***courtesy USA Today High School