(6-28-18) The IHSA released statewide high school football schedules for the 2018 season today. The state continues to see numerous schools looking to fill their football schedules.
One change in the Stateline area has solved a problem for the Big Northern Conference. Rockford Christian was politely asked to leave the conference staring this fall (football only), with the Crusaders moving back to the Northeastern Athletic Conference, the BNC now has 10 football members. That move solves the problem the schools had of filling one open date during the season, they will now all play a 9 conference game schedule.
It may have solved the BNC’s problem, but for the Kishwaukee River Conference is created a ‘nightmare’. The KRC this season, still with 7 football members, had an arrangement with the BNC that they would work together to schedule open dates, since both conferences had an odd number of football members. Next season, the KRC will be down to six members, Burlington Central was asked to leave because of getting to big for other members, they are set to join the Fox Valley Conference in the future. The bad news, they will now need to schedule four non-conference games.
Some KRC Scheduling –
- Burlington Central at Westmont
- Johnsburg at Appleton (Wisc) West
- Marengo at Stratford (Wisc)
- Gary (Ind) West at Woodstock
- Woodstock North at Westosha Central (Wisc)
- Woodstock North at Lincoln
Rockford Christian Scheduling –
- Chicago Corliss
- at Chicago Christian
- Rockford Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (NEC game)
The above are just some of the examples of the issues facing IHSA member schools, scheduling football games has become a tangled web of confusion for many athletic directors around Illinois.
Border states like Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa and Indiana supply opponents, plus schools from Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Ontario, Canada are on some schools 2018 schedule.
Below are just a couple of examples.
East St. Louis (Sr.)
- Aug. 25 — Detroit King, MI
- Sep. 1 — St. Louis Trinity Catholic, MO
- Oct. 5 — Massillon Washington , OH
- Aug. 26 — Pickerington (Central), OH
- Sep. 1 — St. Louis (Chaminade), MO
- Insight, From The IHSA, Coaches And ADs Into Possible District Play In Illinois HS Football
- Why Illinois Membership Will Not Approve District Football Play In The Future (Again)
District football would solve a lot of the scheduling issues faced by many schools, will it ever be approved, time will tell.