UPDATED- 11:45 AM — 9-19-19

The  Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office has charged the Dayton Dunbar football player who head-butted football official Scott Bistrek.

The juvenile (no name released) is being charged with one count of felonious assault causing serious bodily harm, a second-degree felony. He is accused of head-butting an official during the team’s opening game against Roger Bacon.

The player will stay in the Montgomery County Juvenile Detention Center until his first court date, which has not yet been scheduled.

(9-19-19) On August 31st an Ohio High School football official Scott Bistrek was head-butted by a helmeted Dayton Dunbar player during the opening game of the 2019 high school football season. Bistrek went to the emergency room fo a CT scan the next day and that is when his head injury was diagnosed as a concussion.  His symptoms were released during his Ohio Senate testimony this week.

Because of his injury Bistrek did not officiate any sport for over a week and stopped driving for Uber and Lyft due to his head injury.

The Incident

The incident took place in the second quarter of Dunbar’s game against Roger Bacon and led to the rest of the game being canceled and Roger Bacon was awarded a forfeit win. Bistrek also testified that the Dunbar player was called for a personal foul penalty after pushing a Roger Bacon player after the whistle. It might be noted that Dunbar, previous to the head-butting incident, had been called for three unsportsmanlike penalties.

Bistrek said the Dunbar players and coaches intervened when the player moved threateningly toward another official.

Bistrek gave his his testimony in support of Senate Bill 118, which would make an assault against a sports official a fifth-degree felony rather than a first-degree misdemeanor. The bill was being heard before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday.

Bistrek’s testimony-

“The headaches the first couple of days were worse than I have ever had. Two weeks later I still have occasional headaches. I am a very active person, and to not be able to do much at all for a week after was extremely hard for me. Bright lights, too much TV and sound would make my head pound.”

“The player did not think the call was fair and was very incensed and cursing. At this point I motioned the player off the field and told him he needed to go off for a play to calm down. The player was not being ejected from the game, just being sent to the sideline for a play to calm down. At this time the player says, ‘F you,’ and then headbutts me.”

The case against the Dunbar player is being overseen by the juvenile division of the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office.

OHSAA Administrator Beau Rugg also testified, but his testimony was geared more towards the conduct of parents and fans toward the officials.

Since the incident took place Dunbar has played two more football games, losing both. Despite being on probation no disciplinary action at this time has been taken by the Ohio High School Athletic Association against the school.

 

Advertisements