— Jake Fox (@FoxJake_) December 7, 2017
(12-7-17) The next time you want to go see in person a ‘Hoosier’ boys basketball type story in the making, take the short trip to from Celina to Hartford City, Indiana.
Jake Fox wrote a feature for the Muncie Star Press, about the boys basketball team at Blackford High School, it’s a great read.
He describes it this way:
- An 82-year-old man (now his 83) is hired to coach a high school basketball team after stepping down from his last coaching job three years ago.
- A freshman, who was home-schooled until high school, scores 98 points (32.7 per game) in the first three games of his career.
- A high school basketball team starts the season 3-0 after going a combined 1-44 over the last two years.
Who is the 83 year old coach?
Jerry Hoover was an assistant for 14 years at Indiana State and St. Joseph’s College and has coached at the high school level at Ben Davis, Lake Central, North Judson, Salem, and Logansport. He also currently runs the D-One Basketball Camp.
Hoover told Fox about how he ended up in Blackford:
“I’m not making any bones about it. I looked all over the state for a job. I talked to a lot of schools. For one reason or another, I was either too old or they didn’t understand what was going on. This was a fit here. I’m not only qualified, but I’ve done this before.”
Who is the Freshman?
— Jake Fox (@FoxJake_) December 3, 2017
Who is the team?
The Blackford Bruins in his last game against Blue River Valley, he scored 33 points, had 12 assists and 5 rebounds.
So read the story below and check-out the Bruins schedule and have some watching something special.
- Jake Fox Story – This 83-year-old coach and freshman phenom are rejuvenating Blackford hoops
- 2017-18- Blackford Schedule
NOTE: On January 27th they will be in Portland to play Jay County